POSITION: Engagement Director
ORGANIZATION: UN Global Compact Network USA
LOCATION: New York, NY (Flexible)
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time
SALARY RANGE: $100,000-$120,000 annually
BENEFITS: Generous healthcare benefits, 5% automatic 401k contribution, 3% additional match, 4 weeks paid vacation
To submit an application, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with ‘Engagement Director’ the subject line by December 1, 2022.
Please note that Network USA is not in a position to sponsor visas at this time. We kindly ask that you only apply to this role if you have the right to work in the United States.
HELP US DELIVER THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS IN THE U.S. THROUGH CORPORATE LEADERSHIP
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are the collective plan of global commitments required to end extreme poverty and hunger, tackle climate change, and create a more socially inclusive world by 2030. Achieving these goals requires a significant multi-stakeholder effort, which cannot be delivered by Governments and Civil Society alone. The actions, innovations and finances of the private sector are critical to our ability to deliver.
Businesses are increasingly aware of the challenge. A recent survey shows that sustainability is one of the top three “most concerning issues in terms of business strategy,” with 65% of CEOs highlighting “progress toward inclusive growth/sustainability” as a major concern, just behind “keeping up with technology competitiveness” at 77% and far ahead of “employee hiring and retention” (31%), which has traditionally been a major concern.
The survey also finds that CEOs are keen to integrate the SDGs into their business planning, as evidenced by 92% support for the SDG agenda. At the same time,CEOs are not yet clear about how to carry out that mandate. Just 17% of CEOs believe they currently have programs in place to help achieve the goals. Squaring the need to serve multiple stakeholders remains a challenge.
This is where the UN Global Compact comes in. We are the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative with over 15,000 participating companies in 160+countries, and 60+Local Networks around the world to support local engagement.We enable and support companies across all sectors, geographies, and sizes in their efforts to help meet the SDGs, building upon the foundation of the UN Global Compact Ten Principles, which align responsible business with the norms and values of the United Nations. Today, 75% of participating companies have activities to advance the SDGs. However, we are an ambitious team, energized behind our mission of mobilizing a global movement of responsible companies and organizations to create the world we want. And we want to do much more.
Launched in 2007, UN Global Compact Network USA is the local network chapter of the UN Global Compact, supporting U.S.-based entities in:
- Operating in alignment with the Ten Principles of the Global Compact.
- Engaging with and advancing the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Leveraging their association with the Global Compact and United Nations and its global resource network.
- Facilitating and creating opportunities for multi-sectoral and multi-stakeholder collaboration.
The selected candidate will play an integral role in supporting the growth and development of the Network participants in the following ways:
- You will serve as the first point of contact for anyone interacting with the Network, including but not limited to, companies, UN officials, UN Global Compact Head Office staff and other local network staff.
- Represent the UN Global Compact in the US marketplace, traveling as needed to present the Network at conferences and directly with companies across the country.
- Engage both current and prospective UN Global Compact signatories in the United States to encourage greater participation in the UN Global Compact and the Network.
- Own the recruitment process for potential signatory companies for the UN Global Compact in the United States and ensure growth targets.
- Contribute to the Network’s strategic and programmatic development to best support the interests of signatory companies.
- Support the development of and manage the Network’s key account management system for managing signatory interests and engagement.
- Contribute to the development and strengthening of Network communications and relationships with the goal of strengthening the UN Global Compact brand and ensuring an understanding of and visibility for the UN Global Compact value proposition.
- Manage engagement team staff and related operation, overseeing responses to inquiries from prospective and current participants.
- Support signatories with their understanding and navigation of UN Global Compact annual reporting requirements(the Communication on Progress).
- Other activities as assigned to support our fast-growing organization.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS:
- Proven experience in developing and maintaining corporate partnerships and relationships with senior private-sector representatives, primarily within the sustainability function.
- Self-starter, extremely detail-oriented and a great teammate, with a willingness to take ownership of responsibilities and maintain a high level of positive energy and drive.
- Excellent time management, organizational, and project management skills.
- Exceptional public presentation and communication (verbal and written) skills, as demonstrated by an ability to communicate with equal effectiveness at all levels—e.g. network board members, UN officials, executive and working level representatives of member companies, and related stakeholders.
- Strong writing skills with the ability to convey complex and nuanced topics clearly and succinctly without a need for external editing support.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and priorities simultaneously and in a fast-paced environment with little supervision and manage appropriate systems to track projects and work.
- Complete assignments on time or, as necessary, initiate internal communications to advise of unavoidable delays.
- A customer-oriented approach to engaging with multiple audiences, including member companies, UN colleagues and the Network USA board
- Demonstrated expert understanding of, and commitment to, corporate responsibility, corporate sustainability, and evolving trends in the marketplace.
- Sound judgement and professionalism with the ability to make independent decisions, demonstrate a high level of initiative and proactively identify and solve problems.
TO FULFILL THIS ROLE SUCCESSFULLY, YOU SHOULD DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- A minimum of (10) years of directly relevant experience in driving corporate sustainability action consistent with the objectives of the SDGs. Prior experience working directly with or consulting companies or managing sales within the context of corporate responsibility, sustainability reporting, supply chain or other sustainability initiatives is preferred, particularly if done within the context of a United Nations initiative or partnership.
- Account management or sales experience in a corporate sustainability context.
- Work experience related to development corporate-NGO partnerships, developing and implementing engagement strategies and plans, and promoting enthusiasm for and uptake of programs to address ESG, corporate sustainability, and/or sustainable development issues.
- Ability to lead a small and ambitious team representing the UN Global Compact in the US marketplace.
- Availability to occasionally work outside of normal business hours to help meet important deadlines.
- Experience with the UN Global Compact and/or UN-related initiatives preferred.
- Microsoft Office Suite proficiency (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook)
It would be helpful in this position for you to demonstrate the following capabilities and distinctions:
- A working knowledge of how the SDGs or other ESG considerations are relevant to business planning and execution.
- A working knowledge of Salesforce and CRM tools and the ability to master new programs as needed.
- UN or corporate sustainability work experience.
- Knowledge of other UN languages.
This position will be based in the Network USA office in New York City, though we are open to remote candidates within the United States that will travel to New York City as needed.
Network USA is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Network USA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Network USA are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Network USA will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.