UN Global Compact
The Value of Water for Business
World Water Day 2021 focuses on the value of water, highlighting its importance from multiple angles, including cultural, environmental, economic, and financial. This session will be separated into two sections. In the first section, corporate leaders will discuss what “water means to the business sector,” and why it should be prioritized in business decision making. In the second section, two practical tools will be introduced to help companies advance water stewardship practices, in conjunction with case examples of companies who have already used these tools.
The duration of this online event is 90 minutes:
Section 1: Building Resilience from Global to Local – The Importance of the Value of Water (45 mins)
To open, leaders will explore the value of water to businesses while inspiring corporate leadership on sustainable water use, building toward long-term business resilience.
- Kelly Ann Naylor, Vice-Chair, UN-Water
- Jason Morrison, Head, CEO Water Mandate & President, the Pacific Institute
- Mark Breitbard, President and CEO, Gap Brand
- Michael Kobori, Chief Sustainability Officer, Starbucks
- Sanda Ojiambo, Executive Director and CEO of the UN Global Compact
Section 2: From Intention to Action: Practical Implementation of Stewardship (45 mins)
During this section, two tools will be introduced to help companies better value and engage in water stewardship practices: the Smart Water Navigator and the Water Action Hub 4.0. Participants will also have the opportunity to hear from companies who have already leveraged these tools internally.
- Faith Lawrence, Country Coordinator, Natural Resources Stewardship Programme South Africa, GIZ
- Paul Fleming, Water Manager, Microsoft
Moderator: Antony Curie, Reuters Breaking News
Closing Remarks: Doug Baker, Executive Chairman of the Board, Ecolab
Spanish and Portuguese instantaneous translation will be available.