ILO Massive Open Online Course: Business and Decent Work - How Enterprises Contribute to Achieve Decent Work For All (SDG 8)
Introduction to the course
The aim of this ILO Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) is to enhance understanding on the ways and means whereby multinational enterprises can contribute to the achievement of decent work for all (SDG 8) through their operations. Starting from the principles set forth by the ILO MNE Declaration of Principles concerning Multinational Enterprises and Social policy, the MOOC will gradually expose participants to the business and decent work nexus, ways in which companies can contribute to the different pillars of the decent work agenda, and the issue of partnership, coherence and synergies with other existing frameworks that promote responsible business practices.
Who attends this course?
The MOOC has been designed for a wide range of professionals from the public and private sectors (enterprises, governments, social partners and other relevant stakeholders), in particular CSR professionals; government officials dealing with MNEs and/or business and human rights; workers' and employers' organizations; civil society; and members of local UN Global Compact networks.
The course will deep dive into the following topics:
- how enterprises can contribute to the Decent Work Agenda and to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development through sustainable, responsible and inclusive business practices
- the ILO MNE Declaration as a framework for dialogue and action
- how different instruments and frameworks in particular the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, the OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises, the UN Global Compact and the ILO MNE Declaration complement each other and bring coherence for the realization of decent work for all
- the smart mix of measures of initiatives that stimulate business contribution to decent work for all
Why should I join?
- To engage and network with a wide range of professionals from the public and private sectors from across the globe on topics of mutual concern
- To learn from and with each other best practices on the promotion of sustainable, responsible and inclusive business
- To hear from and connect with experts from ILO, OHCHR, UN Global Compact, OECD and the EU on the latest trends, innovations and cutting edge approaches.
- Successful candidates receive an ITCILO Certificate of Achievement
The MOOC will be offered through the ITCILO eCampus over a period of 7 weeks from 6 September to 15 October 2021, for an estimated total of 34 learning hours.
The MOOC consists of three components:
- Online learning: Flexible self-guided online learning on the ITCILO eCampus, consisting of a mix of mandatory and optional modules taking into account the profile and field of interest of the participants.
- ‘Real time’ learning and experience sharing: six live interactive modules with highly experienced trainers and resources persons, including four master classes and two experience-sharing sessions during which the participants share their experiences and good practices.
- Forum and experience sharing: Interactions among the participants and with the facilitators during the live sessions as well as on the course forum.
You can access a preliminary schedule of the online training seminars here. This will allow you to organize already your work schedule. In case you cannot attend the life session, all online seminars will be recorded and made available on the eCampus.
Applications close on September 5, 2021 COB.